How Notre Dame’s Mendoza College Reimagined Its EMBA In A Global Context

Notre Dame Mendoza College of Business

University of Notre Dame’s Mendoza College of Business will launch its new globally-focused EMBA next fall.

Mendoza College of Business at the University of Notre Dame has announced that it is launching a new global executive MBA next fall. It is the third big brand business school to launch a global program in the last year. 

The school will also close its Chicago-based EMBA after the Class of 2025, leaving just the Global EMBA at its South Bend, Indiana, campus.

“By bringing all Global EMBA students to campus for their residencies, we can provide a holistic Notre Dame experience and establish greater consistency between the cohorts,” says Martijn Cremers, the Martin J. Gillen Dean of the Mendoza College of Business, in a release. 

“The shift to a global perspective aligns with the larger business demand for effective leaders with a strong understanding of the complexities of a global economy, particularly in working with varied work cultures.”

Dean Martijn Cremers, Mendoza College of Business. Photo by Barbara Johnston/University of Notre Dame


Global executive MBAs are certainly not new. Columbia Business School launched its leading global program all the way back in 2001, and several leading schools offer international EMBAs for an ever increasingly global business context. 

But, Mendoza is the latest business school to add a global-focused program since last August. University of Pennsylvania’s The Wharton School enrolled its first Global EMBA cohort in May after announcing it last summer. Cambridge Judge Business School at the University of Cambridge announced its Global Executive MBA in April. Both programs include a mix of online and in-person learning to give executives more flexibility in their travel. 

Wharton’s is 75% online through live virtual classes with the other 25% coming from five residential weeks at Wharton’s Philadelphia and San Francisco campuses along with other international locations. Cambridge Judge’s version, which will enroll its first cohort in January, will be about 25 to 30% online, with a mix of live virtual sessions and asynchronous instruction. Outside of that, students will attend four week-long blocks of in-person instruction at Cambridge along with two more week-long blocks in other countries.

Mendoza’s Global EMBA, however, will follow the same curriculum and academic calendar of its current offering: a 22-month program in which students meet once per month for in-person residencies. But, global students will have two required international immersions along with an option to participate in another in lieu of on-campus electives during its electives week, according to a press release.


The new focus will give EMBA students opportunities to explore the business environment of the Global South, where Mendoza has long been involved as part of its mission for business to have a positive impact. The Notre Dame Global Gateways and Centers, which include locations in Beijing, Dublin, Jerusalem, London, Rome, and Santiago, Chile, will also help plan immersions.

“The Notre Dame Global EMBA is an evolution in our efforts to serve working professionals. More than that, it’s an evolution in how business leaders can take forward Mendoza’s charge to ‘grow the good in business’ on a global scale,” Cremers said.

Mendoza’s EMBA currently is offered in South Bend and Chicago. The Chicago cohort that started this August will be the last. Applications are now open for the Notre Dame Global EMBA Class of 2026 which will begin in fall 2024.

“As someone who has worked globally for most of my professional life, I understand the high value placed on leaders who understand how to solve problems in global environments,” says Gianna Bern, the academic director for the Notre Dame EMBA who will continue to serve as director for the Notre Dame Global EMBA. 

“The Global EMBA is designed to leverage all of the strengths of our existing program — the curriculum, the faculty, the campus and the reputation for excellence represented by the Notre Dame MBA degree — while students also gain up to three international immersion experiences on three different continents.”



Questions about this article? Email us or leave a comment below.